SHANKAR MATH temple of Lord Shiva where 9.5 feet tall Shivling is worshiped established since 1977. Temple is surrounded with plants all around keeping the atmosphere cool every moment, very peaceful environment to chant mantras and mediate sitting i the big just in front of the Shivling, makes this temple a perfect destination to achieve consistency and energy in life. Small pond with lotus flowers and Utrasum bead (Rudraksha, रूद्राक्ष) tree can also be seen around temple.
Facts and Beliefs
– This Shivling is carved out from one piece marble and is 9.5 feet tall and 7.5 feet in width, the circumference of the Shivling is 25 feet and weighing 27 tons during the time of establishment.
– The temple was established in 1977 Samvat 2034, Shavan Shukla Tryodashi by Shri Mahisanand Giri ji Maharaj.
– One can notice third eye on the Shivling, and long hairs (जटाए) on the top of Shivling, it is believed all this appeared naturally while carving out the Shivling.
– Every single day 108 Aegle marmelos (बेल पत्र) leaves are used in worship of Shivling.
– 1000 lotus flower are used while worshiping the Shivling during every Monday of Saavan month.
Vedas and Upanishads
– In the temple Upanishads and other Vedas are narrated everyday by Swami ji, and tourists and localities are allowed to attend the same, the timings of narration are as follows:-
Morning: 8:30 – 9:30 (Madukya Upanishads)
Evening: 4:30 – 5:30 (Panch Dashi)
Winter Evening: 3:30 – 4:30 (Panch Dashi)
The present narration are being done by Swami Shri Swam Prakash Giri ji
– The 2 big festivals celebrated in temple are 1) Shavan Shukla Trayo Dasi (Teras) and 2) Shivrati; These 2 days whole Shivling is decorated with all ornaments, flowers and other holy things, and this special decoration is done only twice a year on this 2 days.
April to September: 7:00 am – 11:30 am, 4:00 pm – 8:30 pm
October to March: 7:30 am – 12:00 am, 4:00 pm – 7:30 pm
–Landmarks: Global Hospital, Army cant.
–Parking: Available in the front of temple gate for all kind of vehicles.
–Duration: 5 to 10 minutes.